Bar-V-Nook Supportive Living
Bar-V-Nook is a modern and welcoming supportive living community located in the town of Smoky Lake, Alberta. Bar-V-Nook first opened as a Lodge in 2015. With a 60-suite expansion completed in 2018, we are now able to offer Memory Care and Designated Supportive Living (to DSL4-DSL4D), as well as independent supportive living Bar-V-Nook Manor suites and apartments.
The name ‘Bar-V-Nook’ is derived from barvinok, a Ukrainian periwinkle symbolizing faithfulness, and living in peace throughout the seasons of life. The rich cultural history of the surrounding community and farmland is reflected in many aspects of day to day life at Bar-V-Nook Manor. The Bar-V-Nook kitchen team produces excellent meals and snacks, much of it a cultural tribute to residents’ traditional foods. The dining room is bright and cheerful with windows looking out to the grounds.
Four enclosed courtyards provide a well tended and sheltered spot for residents and guests to enjoy the outdoors. Some suites display courtyard views, while others, especially the upper floors of the three-storey Independent Supportive Living expansion, provide residents with wonderful views of the town, farms, rolling hills and forests. A spacious new third-floor deck is a choice destination for outdoor gatherings.
Bar-V-Nook is within easy walking distance from the town centre with its pharmacy, grocery store, post office, restaurant, drop in centre, and churches. And Bar-V-Nook’s recreation coordinator gets active and creative alongside residents, with exercises, games, activities and outings, as well as organizing guest performances and coordinating visits from school and cultural groups.
Designated Supportive Living (DSL3-4 and DSL4D) (41 suites):
- 41 studio suites are available for Designated Supportive Living (DSL3-DSL4) residents. Care is provided through Alberta Health Services for individuals who are living with a physical disability, or mental health diagnosis, but are medically and physically stable. Residents enjoy full involvement in the community, sharing meals and activities with residents from the Independent Supportive Living suites and apartments.
- Memory Care (DSL4D, Dementia Care): DSL4D care is provided through Alberta Health Services for individuals living with moderate to severe dementia who are medically and physically stable. The memory care suites are arranged cottage-style; in two clusters of ten suites, each with its own community kitchen and social area, with access to a secure courtyard.
- Modern security system
- Emergency response system
- Onsite laundry
- Covered scooter parking
- Exercise room/spa
- Recreation and social opportunities
- Recreation Therapy
- All meals and snacks
- Non-personal laundry (linens)
- Light housekeeping
Services available for an additional fee:
- Personal laundry
- Vehicle plug in (winter)
- Internet, telephone and/or cable TV
- Some recreation activities or outings
- Pets: Pets may be considered with the approval of the General Manager
- Smoking: Smoking is allowed in specific areas only, not in suites or common areas.
Dementia Care (DSL4D) applications are arranged through Alberta Health Services, and must meet AHS criteria. Call Health Link (dial 811 within Alberta) for support, direction and referrals.
Address: Bar-V-Nook Manor, 4524 52 Avenue, Smoky Lake, AB Canada T0A 3C0.